Full-Time Vice President for Student Affairs & Dean of Students
Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students
Adelphi University invites nominations and applications for the position of Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students. The Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students (VPSA) serves as the chief student affairs officer, reports to the University president and is a key member of the executive leadership team. Additionally, the Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students will work collaboratively with the provost and serve as a member of the Deans’ Council. We’re looking for a proven, innovative and collaborative leader capable of bringing a bold, creative vision and strong organizational and management skills to the position.
For a detailed description of this executive position, please review the position prospectus, available https://www.adelphi.edu/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Vice-President-for-Student-Affairs-Position-Prospectus.pdf.
It’s an exciting time in the history of Adelphi University, New York. We’ve climbed four places in the latest U.S. News & World Report rankings, bringing us into its top 150 National Universities. Due to our strong growth in enrollment, Eduventures named us one of just two national winners of its 2018 Eduventures Innovation Award. We have high national rankings for several schools and programs and dramatically improved our position in recently released rankings from the Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education (up 27 spots), Money magazine (up 52 spots) and Niche (up 37 spots), while remaining on the selective Forbes America’s Top Colleges list.
The Vice President will play a key role in implementing the University’s long-range strategic vision defined within Momentum: The Strategic Plan for Adelphi University, 2015-2021—most notably, Adelphi’s relentless dedication to student success and its commitment to world-class academic programs.
The VPSA will be an acknowledged leader in the field of student affairs—one who sets the highest standard for committing to the holistic success of the individual student. The VPSA will be able to bring new initiatives forward successfully, while at the same time embracing a University culture that values collaboration, effective working relationships and partnerships across divisions. This position will also be responsible for fully aligning and collaborating with the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics and Campus Recreation.
The VPSA is a newly elevated role at Adelphi University, created as a result of careful consideration of campus needs, as well as a review of best practices among peer institutions nationwide. The new position has oversight and responsibility for several existing units and a team of more than 50 employees—including the Health Services Center, the Center for Student Involvement, the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards, the Office of Residential Life and Housing, counseling and support services (Student Counseling Center), the Student Access Office, the Center for Career and Professional Development, and the Interfaith Center.
Additional but equally important responsibilities to be assumed by the VPSA involve working closely with various internal and external constituencies and partners, governmental and community organizations related to student recruitment, and engagement and retention efforts.
The VPSA will be joining Adelphi at a time when the University is embarking on a major renovation of its student hub, the Ruth S. Harley University Center, set to reopen in Fall 2020.
Opportunities and Expectations for Leadership:
Within the broad and demanding array of responsibilities associated with this position, the VPSA will want to give particular attention to the following leadership opportunities and challenges:
• Develop a Strategic Partnership With the President, the Provost and the Vice President for Enrollment Management.
• Participate in Implementation of the University’s Strategic Plan, Momentum.
• Advocate Proactively With Internal and External Constituents.
• Enhance Operations, Service Quality and Efficiency.
Responsibilities and Duties:
• Provide intellectual and administrative leadership to the Division of Student Affairs, guiding services and programs as well as University-wide initiatives.
• Provide vision and oversight for the development and implementation of comprehensive student programs and services that promote the University’s mission and enhance the student campus experience.
• Support the division’s planning and development, with particular emphasis on high- impact practices, student development, wellness, diversity and inclusion, and community involvement.
• Act as student advocate, assessing student needs and interests, voicing student concerns, assisting in the redress of problems, and effecting change when necessary.
• Provide direct supervision, training and evaluation of programs and staff in all oversight units.
• Advise the president, executive leadership, deans, other University administrators and faculty on matters concerning students and student affairs.
• Provide leadership in the areas of long-range and short-range planning, human resources, policy development, and operational, facility and budgetary aspects for all reporting departments.
• Develop and implement services, activities and opportunities that complete the student experience and enhance students’ participation in campus life, with the specific purpose of increasing student retention, persistence and graduation rates.
• Work effectively with a wide variety of constituent groups, including students, families, University staff, faculty and the community.
• Maintain an awareness of current issues, latest findings, trends, technologies and best practices in higher education, specifically in areas of direct supervisory responsibility.
• Foster a culture of evidence-based decision making and ensure periodic comprehensive assessment of all programs for effectiveness, efficiency and satisfaction.
• Oversee engagement with students’ parents and families.
• Counsel with students, families, University personnel and external parties to provide conflict resolution.
• Be on call for emergencies and other incidents with potential student impact.
• Support the system of internal controls developed by the University, the Division of Student Affairs and individual departments. Uphold all applicable laws, regulations, policies and procedures.
• Prepare financial reports and supervise the budget process for areas reporting.
• Serve as a member of the University’s Threat Assessment Team and Emergency Response Team.
• Lead and serve on various division and University committees.
• Promote strong communication throughout units and across stakeholder groups.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• To be an effective member of the executive leadership team, the VPSA must be a consummate professional who will embrace positive change and work well in a consultative environment within a culture of transparency and fiscal responsibility.
• The VPSA will be a confident, high-energy leader, a superb communicator and an innovative thinker who focuses on both broad possibilities and opportunities as well as tangible results.
• The VPSA will understand and respect shared governance and be an advocate for an environment that encourages teamwork, student success, inclusive decision making and a sense of community across the University.
• The VPSA must have demonstrated the ability to work with a diverse student population.
• The VPSA must have substantial knowledge of risk management and legal issues in higher education.
• The VPSA must demonstrate an ability to manage change and communicate effectively to various constituents.
• Master’s degree in higher education administration, college student personnel or related field; doctorate preferred.
• Minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible professional working experience in student affairs in higher education; demonstrated competence in administration, student development, budget planning and management; experience in addressing the needs of both resident and commuter students.
How to Apply
Application Information for Candidates:
The salary and benefits will be competitive. Candidates should provide a resume, cover letter addressing the priorities addressed in the position statement, and names and contact information for five references. References will not be contacted without the knowledge and approval of the candidate.
For best consideration, please send all nominations, inquiries and expressions of interest in confidence electronically to the search committee at mailto:email@example.com.
Review of applications is underway and will continue until the position is filled.
Adelphi University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to building a diverse workforce. It strongly encourages applications from women, underrepresented groups, members of the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities and veterans. Adelphi University is an EEO/AA employer.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/1472039
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.