Full-Time Catering Event Manager
Work type: Officer of Administration
Department: University Housing
Appointment Type and Duration: Regular, Ongoing
Salary: $47,500 – $52,000 per year
Application Review Begins
Review begins immediately. Apply by May 24, 2017 to ensure consideration.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For a complete list of job duties please email: email@example.com and reference Catering Event Manager.
Complete applications must include:
• Cover letter which expresses your interest in the position
• Current resume, which includes dates of employment
• Answers to the following supplemental questions:
1. Describe your experience working with event production or front of house management software systems?
2. This position requires leading catering service staff. Please include the number of employees and their positions and your role in training, directing, scheduling, hiring and evaluating the work of these employees? Describe any experience you have managing a unionized work force.
3. Describe your experience providing event support to catered events, including the size of the events, whether on-site or off site and any specific actions you took to ensure success.
4. The University of Oregon values equality, inclusion and inter-cultural understanding in our work, describe how can you contribute to these values as the Catering Event Manager at the University of Oregon?
University Housing, a unit in the Division of Student Services and Enrollment Management, supports the academic mission of the university through the provision of residence hall and family student housing and related services. University Housing strives to be a multicultural organization that actively includes and engages everyone. We are committed to embracing diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion into our daily work practices and activities; with our ongoing goal to create safe, welcoming, and equitable working and learning environments.
University Housing Dining Services is an auxiliary educational and business enterprise of the university with an annual budget of approximately 30 million dollars. The Dining Services program provides board, retail, catering and conference operations services to residents, campus and conference customers.
In coordination with the Catering Sales Manager and Catering Chef, the Catering Event Manager provides supervision, leadership and direction in the execution and service of catered events on and off campus. This position assures the successful execution of multiple on and off-site events daily and supports the ongoing development of a cutting edge, clientele focused catering service. Budgetary responsibility will include the allocation of staff and the ordering of equipment and supplies. This position supervises classified and student staff and reports to the Assistant Director Dining for Catering & Conference Services.
• Two years catering experience in a commercial catering operation
• Two years’ experience in supervision or leading the work of others; experience must include assigning and evaluating work and dealing with disciplinary issues.
This position must be able to work a varying schedule to include nights and/or weekends.
This position is required to obtain a food handlers permit and OLCC servers permit.
This position will require a valid driver’s license and the ability to obtain UO Drivers Certification.
• Excellent verbal communication skills; be comfortable in public/social settings and working with diverse groups to plan and coordinate catered events.
• Demonstrated success directing staff and coordinating catering events
• Demonstrated creativity in developing presentation for high end catering events
• Knowledge of safe food handling practices and liquor laws
• Demonstrated experience ordering food products and supplies, and managing maintenance of equipment
• Demonstrated experience with and/or commitment to working effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds, in support of an inclusive and welcoming environment
• B.A. or A.A. degree in culinary arts, food service management, hotel and restaurant administration or related field
• Experience managing a unionized food service staff
• Experience in a college or university food service operation
FLSA Exempt: Yes
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background inquiry.The University of Oregon is proud to offer a robust benefits package to eligible employees, including health insurance, retirement plans and paid time off. For more information about benefits, visit http://hr.uoregon.edu/careers/about-benefits.
The University of Oregon is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the ADA. The University encourages all qualified individuals to apply, and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected status, including veteran and disability status.
UO prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression in all programs, activities and employment practices as required by Title IX, other applicable laws, and policies. Retaliation is prohibited by UO policy. Questions may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, Office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity, or to the Office for Civil Rights. Contact information, related policies, and complaint procedures are listed on the statement of non-discrimination. In compliance with federal law, the University of Oregon prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and services. The Annual Campus Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at http://police.uoregon.edu/annual-report.
Advertised: 26 Apr 2017 Pacific Daylight Time
- Start Date: No Start Date
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree Preferred
- Work Experience: 1 – 3 years
- Part/Full Time: Full-Time